There are calls for a Royal Commission into the building industry following the latest developments in the Cullen Group collapse, with claims subbies have lost half a billion dollars in 50 builder collapses since 2013.
Paul Weston, Gold Coast BulletinSubscriber only|August 13, 2019 12:34pm
BURLEIGH MP Michael Hart has called for a Royal Commission into the building industry following the latest stunning development in the Cullen Group collapse.
The LNP State frontbencher has written to Federal Attorney-General Christian Porter after speaking to subbies who face losing more than $8.4 million in payments.
The Bulletin in a report on the weekend detailed how the liquidator was seeking the money from 29 subcontractors alleging the respondents had received “unfair preferences” in the six months before a Robina site was shut down in December 2016.
Mr Hart told the Attorney-General that there had been 50 companies which had collapsed since 2013.
“Sadly, this has been accompanied by over 7000 subcontractors left empty-handed to the tune of half a billion dollars and more developers now face closing their doors,” Mr Hart said.
“In addition, frequent complaints from consumers relating to defective work and lengthy delays for repairs continue to attract extensive media coverage.
“This situation is not unique to Queensland and is something that could equally apply in the other States and Territories. The leaders of industry groups have advised that in their view, the system is broken.”