Another Category 5 builder gone and I can't say I am sorry to see the back of them other than what it will mean financially to creditors, most of whom will be subcontractors.
Lanskey Constructions Pty Ltd as it then was, cancelled their licence in August 2021 and it was morphed into a new company Lanskey Constructions QLD Pty Ltd, same nominee, same directors and now its gone.
Some builders treat subbies so badly, the industry is a far better place without them.
Here is a sample of how this builder treated subcontractors. This is what one subcontractor experienced at the hands of the old company Lanskey Constructions Pty Ltd.
Subbie One - June 2017
- Ridiculous burdensome contracts where generalised parts in the back of the contract refer to trades other than ours ie: electrical and later in the job they use the contract to argue we are responsible for it even thought the contract clearly shows no provision for those items AS THEY ARE NOT OUR TRADE.
- I would highly recommend engaging a qualified contract expert to review any contracts.
- I would also highly recommend engaging a qualified claims expert even to submit your claims.
- They also short pay claims.
- They argue down percentage achieved beyond what could ever be reasonable despite the works completed being right in front of them.
- They then throughout the whole project, argued all variations were the Subbies responsibility.
- They shut the site down for 4 weeks and no stand downs were approved.
- They would not allow machines to leave site.
- They had terrible project managers who were abusive to all trades on site (typical of many big builders).
- It was awkward to watch and awful to receive what can only be called intimidation.
- Site instructions signed by Project Manager were not honoured because apparently, the Contracts Administrator (who is never available) hadn’t signed it.
- One poor new recruit (site engineer) signed a couple of site instructions, next thing a general email went out to all subbies the next day, refusing to pay on any instructions signed by the new guy.
- Reports on sites of trades also being short paid and claims reduced from the works that were achieved
- I would strongly recommend avoiding this builder.
That was way back in 2017, now fast forward to August 2022 and now we have Lanskey Constructions QLD Pty Ltd. Same shit, different day.
Subbie Two - August 2022
- We are currently doing 2 projects for Lanskey. State Manager, ….. is an absolute nightmare.
- Very nasty, threatening and abusive (when he finally does answer his phone) – all over the phone, never on paper. He is very unprofessional and treats all subbies with contempt.
- Commercial Mixed Use project – the Property Developer ..... has taken over the job due to subbies not being paid.
- The only hitch with that is, the Property Developer has to still work with Lanskey Constructions QLD as they have to use their QBCC licence. This project was started in January and we have only been paid $27K with $3K held for retention with nearly 50% installed and other 50% in our yard ready for erection.
SubbiesUnited note: there is more than one hitch with that. The big one we see is that because the developer took over the site, it's a clear indication of insolvent trading which means more pain for any subbies lucky enough to be paid because they will be sued for preferential payments. The system stinks.
- They have not paid since May which was a March invoice on a circa 500K contract.
- No payment was received for June even though we received a Payment Schedule Advice.
- Second project – DFE – we have been treated with contempt, bullied, told we are in breach of our contract, back-charging us with invoices from engineers, plumbers (we don’t believe exist), and the list goes on.
- You can never contact their Brisbane Office as all calls on the land line go through to their Melbourne Office. No mobile phones are answered so you leave a message and they NEVER return your call.
- We contacted the architects yesterday and they haven’t been paid yet either.
- They are working with us to find out who the Property Developer is and advise of the non-payment of subbies.
- We had to go to site last Friday, the roofers were there under-duress.
- There was no site foreman present, no-one from Lanskey Construction QLD on site, hence no Site Work Orders can be signed off. I believe this is illegal but correct me if I am wrong.
- Just a heads up, they have 700 tonne of steel to be erected on a job-site in Bundamba. The steel is from overseas hence, it will be an absolute nightmare to install. Can this be put out there so subbies know what they are up against should they sign a contract with this mob.
- In my opinion, Lanskey Construction Qld Pty Ltds need to be BLACK-LISTED by all subbies.
Despite non payment of accounts for months on end, contractually it is difficult for subbies to stop work. We are expected to continue to throw good money after bad month after month.
I ask you, would anyone other than a subcontractor be forced to work under such draconian conditions? When is an elected government official going to do something about the inequities and financial danger of participating in the building industry?
The Qld Minister for Housing and Public Works had his chance but has prevaricated about the final implementation of Project Trust Accounts.
If Subbie Two or any other subbie has the hide to send an email asking for payment or threatening to stop work, greedy liquidators use that as proof that the subbie knew the builder was insolvent even though chasing money in this industry is an everyday occurrence. Keep in mind subbies don't have access to builders financials.
The above horror stories were written by two different subbies, 5 years apart. The only thing that changed in those 5 years with this pack of arseholes was that they got worse.
They were nasty, overbearing, bullying, uncontactable, abusive and non paying in 2017 and they were still nasty, overbearing, bullying, uncontactable, abusive and non paying in 2022.
In September 2022 some insurers withdrew cover for debtor insurance because Lanskey refused to provide them with their 2022 financials.
On 14th October we received information that QBE had also withdrawn cover for Lanskey Constructions Qld.
We can only assume they also failed to provide the QBCC with current financials so why has it taken 4 months from the end of the financial year to the 18th October when their licence was suspended for the QBCC to act?
The honeymoon is over for the new QBCC Commissioner.
No doubt we will hear all the usual bullshit in regard to "gouging subbies" and "supply chain issues" but they can gouge all they like and it would make no difference to this nightmare builders bottom line because they simply don't pay them.
Scurry back to NSW or Victoria or wherever you came from and good riddance.
Subbies add a level of protection to your business and join SubbiesUnited and make use of our private members forum for up to date information but a warning, do not join if you are NOT a subcontractor, we will weed you out, you are not welcome.